[coreboot] Reasons for `Boot failed` message?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Apr 7 02:30:12 CEST 2013

Am Samstag, den 06.04.2013, 15:36 +0200 schrieb Patrick Georgi:
> Am 06.04.2013 10:59, schrieb Paul Menzel:
> > Remove the LZMA compressed payload and adding the payload manually
> > (uncompressed) and rewriting the image, the GRUB payload is started
> > without problems.
> > [...]
> >
> > So I would claim, the payload is functional.
> Can you try if the payload is bootable with a cbfstool built after
> reverting aa3f7ba36ebe3a933aa664f826382f60b31e86f1?

        commit aa3f7ba36ebe3a933aa664f826382f60b31e86f1
        Author: Stefan Reinauer <reinauer at chromium.org>
        Date:   Thu Mar 28 16:51:45 2013 -0700

            cbfstool: Replace C++ code with C code

            Reviewed-on: http://review.coreboot.org/3010

I reverted this commit on top of

        commit 161ccc76ea0f8941a34c5bed323cc9ba1fe0221d
        Author: Ronald G. Minnich <rminnich at gmail.com>
        Date:   Fri Apr 5 13:35:29 2013 -0700

            exynos5250: add a chip.h file for the display register
        settings

            Reviewed-on: http://review.coreboot.org/3031

and rebuild the whole port and a LZMA compressed GRUB payload was loaded
without any problems. GNUtoo in #coreboot also reported problems with a
LZMA compressed GRUB payload with latest master including the LZMA
rewrite.

> It's possible that this changes cbfstool behaviour for lzma compression
> in some edge cases.

In #coreboot on irc.freenode.net, phcoder wrote the following.

• possible LZMA bug trigger is that GRUB uses 2 chunks
• I suppose that some variables aren't reset properly between chunks

Thanks,

Paul