[coreboot] Ivy Bridge desktop support

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 2 11:12:29 CEST 2013

Dear Nico,

Am Sonntag, den 31.03.2013, 21:10 +0200 schrieb Paul Menzel:

> Am Samstag, den 30.03.2013, 19:57 +0100 schrieb Nico Huber:
>
> > I'm looking forward to write a port for my Ivy Bridge desktop system based
> > on this board: Intel DH77EB (codenamed Eb Lake, [1]). It comes with the H77
> > platform controller hub (PCH) and a Winbond W83677HG super I/O chip (build
> > by Nuvoton as NCT6775F, [2]). I'm using it with a Core i3-3225 processor [3].
>
> awesome news! Best luck with this!
>
> > I've got the datasheet for the super I/O, so writing support for it should
> > be no problem.
>
> The ASRock E350M1 [4] also uses the Nuvoton NCT6775F. Currently the code
> from the Winbond W83627HF [5].
>
>     device pci 14.3 on # LPC        0x439d
>         chip superio/winbond/w83627hf
>
> Serial works for me. The only problem that might be related from any
> incompatibilities is, that a PS/2 keyboard connected to the shared PS/2
> port does not work correctly, meaning, entering a character the
> characters is displayed several times more. Entering »n«, I get
> »nnnnnnnn« for example. Alvaro, having a ASRock E350M1/USB3, also uses a
> PS/2 keyboard *but* has no problems with this at all. So I have no idea
> if this is related to the Super I/O or not.

This is [6].

> Additionally the ACPI/ASL snippet provided for it has also some
> problems.

This is [7].

Please note that Martin Roth pointed out to me, that when looking at the
the ASRock E350M1, one actually finds that the Nuvoton NCT5572D is used.
Both superiotool and Linux’ w83627ehf are incorrect.

        superiotool r4.0-3888-gce9f8be
        Found Nuvoton NCT6775F (B) (id=0xb473) at 0x2e

And if you know what you have to look for, you also find that this was
known all time along [8].

        The board has a socketed SPI flash BIOS chip and a serial port
        header. The SIO is Nuvoton NCT5572D. Using coreboot's existing
        Winbond w83627hf is a good enough match to get the serial port
        and keyboard working.

Thanks,

Paul

[8]  http://review.coreboot.org/gitweb?p=coreboot.git;a=commit;h=63896e75b42697a8898c0386c492091318cf5c82