[coreboot] H8QME-2+ boot problems on different machines.

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Wed May 5 17:17:32 CEST 2010

> > I think this can be problematic, since by the time you can dump the
> factory
> > BIOS resource allocation has already occurred.  The resource map is only
> > good for early initialization, before resource allocation, right?
>
> hmm. I had always used the bios map as a starting point and it had
> worked well for me.

I think most of the time it should work fine, but we have some hard-coded
addresses where the chipset is expected to live in early setup routines, and
they might break.

My resource map sets:
DRAM mappings for each node
MMIO mappings for each HT chain
PCI IO mappings for each HT chain
PCI Bus numbers for each HT chain

I think they should only be needed for things like ck804_early_setup_car.c,
where I/O is being used and set up.  If the mappings aren't configured the
reads and writes don't reach the chipset.

> But maybe things are much harder now. It is true that you need to do a bit
> of
> interpretation of the map once the factory BIOS has set it up.
>
> Does resource allocation get all the bits, even legacy ones? Are there
> not some resource map values that
> a resource allocator can not figure out?

I don't know.  Once resource allocation is done you should know where your
VGA card is, and where your Southbridge is.  I'm probably missing something,
but I think once resource allocation is done all of the registers that are
touched in the resource map have been rewritten.

Thanks,
Myles