[coreboot] Help getting a P2B board running with coreboot

Mark Marshall mark.marshall at csr.com
Wed Oct 21 19:27:06 CEST 2009

Hi.

I've been lurking here for some time, and am slowly trying to get a ASUS
P2B board to run with coreboot.  This is mainly so that I can get to
grips with how coreboot works - the P2B seemed to be an easy starting
point (well documented and cheap, they're on e-bay for < £10).

I've built a ROM image from earlier today and loaded it into a flash,
and I do get some serial output.  I can see coreboot attempts to
initialize the memory and then hangs when it tries to copy the CBFS
image to RAM.

I uncommented one of the lines in the auto.c file so that I do a memory
test just before the copy from cbfs.  The hang occurs when writing to
the RAM.  I looked at the assembler, and it was using the MOVNTI
instruction, which I don't think is supported by the CPU I'm using.

After changing the HAVE_MOVNTI build define I tried again, this time I
get a reset when writing to the RAM.

The RAM that I'm using isn't a 64MB one, and the raminit code implies
that it may only work with this size of chip.  Is this something easy
that I can change (if this is the only problem then there's a good
chance that I can work out the correct values from the data sheet)?

Are there other reasons why a P2B board won't just run out of the box?
What else can be causing a write to RAM to go wrong?  What other tests
can I make?

Is there a know-good revision from SVN that I can sync to knowing that
that version will(should) work?

If I use serialice (or something else) what do we expect to happen if I
write to (or read from RAM) before it has been initialized?  What about
if it has been wrongly initialized?  (I surprised that it seems to cause
  a reboot.)

I know that these are basic questions, but any help would be greatly
appreciated.

MM