[coreboot] User:Hailfinger/Drafts/Women

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Fri Jun 26 13:49:31 CEST 2009

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:22:23 -0400, Robinson Tryon
<bishop.robinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Joseph Smith<joe at settoplinux.org>
wrote:

>>> I think that's actually a good idea. It's nice to clearly state that
>>> we do want female contributors as well.
>>
>> Why not just say EVERYONE is welcome to contribute.
>> We don't see many Three Toe Sloth developers, should we make a wiki page
>> stating encouraging Three Toe Sloth's to contribute to coreboot as well?
>> The list could go on and on...Get my point?
>
> I think that you raise a very important question: Why should coreboot
> (or any Free Software project) specifically state their support for
> women to participate?
>
> Semantically, saying that everyone is welcome to contribute does
> indeed include women as well as three-toed sloths, children, and any
> sentient beings we don't know about yet.

Yes this was my exact point.
I'm glad to see Carl-Daniel is willing to adjust the page.
I think if he wants to mention in the page something about welcoming
females because statistically the open source community lacks them it would
be fine. I just don't feel there should be a whole page about it. That's my
two cents worth :-)

--
Thanks,
Joseph Smith