[coreboot] Convert Assembly JMP to C

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Fri Sep 12 19:24:40 CEST 2008

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:26:11 -0600, Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com>
wrote:
> On 12/09/08 09:42 +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
>> Peter Stuge wrote:
>> > So you're teaching FILO how to act like a BIOS.
>> >
>> > I will fight that patch hard. I'm afraid I think this design is
>> > completely misguided.
>> >

>> Citing Jordan:
>>
>> Indeed - lets stop trying to beat up Joseph and let him write some code.
>> We do not want to be that project that never matures because we are too
>> busy trying to second guess ourselves and generate "perfect" code
>> out of the chute.  Working code beats conjecture any day of the week.
>
> I've been quoted out of context here, twice.  I think that this
> was a completely different discussion then the previous one.  Joe has
> unearthed two related but orthogonal areas of concern for the coreboot
> community.  One, is related to emulating legacy systems and executing
> the MBR, which falls in the SeaBIOS camp.  The other is related to
> drive enumeration, which is an ongoing problem that we need to face.
> Joe set out to address the latter problem by unintentionally trying to
> solve the former problem.
>
> I think that eventually we figured things out and got on the right path -
> I think that this speaks to a need for improving our communication on
> both sides.  Joe should have been more forthcoming with his plans,
> and we shouldn't have been so quick to judge, rather we should have
> educated more.  And I apologize for my actions in this matter.

No worries Jordan. That's what discussions are all about. I started this
discussion thinking one thing and came out with a whole differnt vision.
But I think it will end up working out for the better in the end.

P.S. Peter can be a little abrasive when you mention the words "real mode
interrupt" or "BIOS" (no offence Peter), I should have expected that, and I
did not take it personal.

--
Thanks,
Joseph Smith