[coreboot] Convert Assembly JMP to C

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Fri Sep 12 18:26:11 CEST 2008

On 12/09/08 09:42 +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> Peter Stuge wrote:
> > So you're teaching FILO how to act like a BIOS.
> >
> > I will fight that patch hard. I'm afraid I think this design is
> > completely misguided.
> >

> Citing Jordan:
>
> Indeed - lets stop trying to beat up Joseph and let him write some code.
> We do not want to be that project that never matures because we are too
> busy trying to second guess ourselves and generate "perfect" code
> out of the chute.  Working code beats conjecture any day of the week.

I've been quoted out of context here, twice.  I think that this
was a completely different discussion then the previous one.  Joe has
unearthed two related but orthogonal areas of concern for the coreboot
community.  One, is related to emulating legacy systems and executing
the MBR, which falls in the SeaBIOS camp.  The other is related to
drive enumeration, which is an ongoing problem that we need to face.
Joe set out to address the latter problem by unintentionally trying to
solve the former problem.

I think that eventually we figured things out and got on the right path -
I think that this speaks to a need for improving our communication on
both sides.  Joe should have been more forthcoming with his plans,
and we shouldn't have been so quick to judge, rather we should have
educated more.  And I apologize for my actions in this matter.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer