[coreboot] About GSOC project All Virtual All The Time (AVATT)

F ff.pptux+coreboot at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 10:14:36 CET 2008

Hi,
    I want to take part in the GSOC2008, and I find All Virtual All
The Time (AVATT) covered by coreboot is interesting. But I have some
questions.

    1. Since booting to Linux from coreboot is a solved problem, this
project emphasizes on the virtualization technique. What we all need
is to squeeze kvm modules and their user space helpers into an
initramfs and build the kernel as a payload. So there's little
relationship with the coreboot project, we just build a minimal Linux
system with kvm support. Is it right?

    2. If that is the case, the minimal Linux system in payload
behaves as the host system. And finally there may be several guest
systems running on it. So we should build all the device drivers in
the host system (payload) that finally may be used on the virtual
guest system. This increases the size of payload. Is this a critical
problem?

    3. Implement configuration system to select which guest system or
which guest system group to boot into?

    4. Is it a good idea to use Xen instead of kvm because Xen does
not need VT support in CPU?

------------------
Some info:
    I'm studying in Shanghai Ship and Shipping Research Institute
majoring in Communication and Information System. I will graduate this
summer, and after that work in this Insitute.
    I've used Linux (mainly Gentoo) for about 2.5 years, and written
some simple char device drivers. I didn't tinker with virtualization
techniques except installing a Linux on Xen (deleted after because of
slowness of my machine). I haven't do big projects before. I don't
know how diffcult to accomplish this project and how to estimate the
milestones. So could somebody give some suggestions?

Thanks a lot.