[coreboot] Returning control to v3 from the payload

Marc Karasek Marc.Karasek at Sun.COM
Fri Mar 14 16:37:58 CET 2008

IMO, It would be a good idea to have this functionality.

It is not always possible to return to the state prior to jumping to the
payload.  This is because you do not have any control over where the
problem in the load of the "next" image happens.

It might be interesting to have an error code of some type returned so
that coreboot can take a make a decision on what to do next.  For
example if it fails because of some hardware item, it should prob not
try to load an alternate image, but if a crc check of an image fails,
then an alternate load would be possible.

In doing this for embedded systems, I have never assumed that control
would be returned with a "known" state and always did some basic reinit
(SP, etc..) so that I would not crash myself.

Just my 2 cents...

Marc Karasek
MTS
Sun Microsystems