[coreboot] Returning control to v3 from the payload

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Mar 14 19:51:10 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 08:32:05AM -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> Somewhere in the back of my mind, I think I recall it was a design
> goal that we support returning control back to v3 from the payload
> and loading an alternate payload or panicing sanely.

Hm. I think I recall discussion about multiple "payloads" in a lar.

> Is this still a legitimate goal for v3?

I am very hesitant.

As was hinted to, it's not possible to guarantee all state so best
not try. With returning comes administration, I much prefer going
for the strictly linear execution flow.

The way I could like it is if it's all done by a separate payload,
that sets up an environment and can run many other programs.

I don't like coreboot doing it.

Think kernel vs /sbin/init

//Peter