[coreboot] v3 patch: fix dtc to correctly parse @x values as hex, not decimal.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Jul 30 01:34:59 CEST 2008

On 29.07.2008 22:10, ron minnich wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:
>
>> Peter Stuge wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I argued strongly for this when they first appeared and even
>>> sent a patch. The problem is that the filenames are tied hard into
>>> the struct names generated by dtc.
>>>

>> Hm. I definitely want to support your idea here then.
>>
>> Adding .dts to the filename is about as hard as not doing that. Also, in 2
>> out of 3 dts files I see struct names.

And what about files which are named dts right now? Do we call them
dts.dts (ugly) or .dts (hidden file)? Stripping a given file suffix in
dtc before creating the struct name is easy.

>> If we'd really autocreate something, we should drop that behavior.

struct name autocreation is a feature I really like.

>> Writing a decent device tree got a lot more complicated than it was in v2.
>> And we did not even start adding new features.
>>

> oh no! it's harder! we blew it!

I'd like to disagree. I still haven't fully understood the v2 device
tree, while the v3 device tree seems obvious and simple to me. The

> Tell me what to change and let's fix it. V3 is still the Department of
> Exploding Things. We can get it right.

v3 has a few perceived problems and a few real problems. The problem is
that everybody has his own idea about which problems are real. I'm not
claiming that my version of the story is the absolute truth(tm).
Do we have a list of v3 design/implementation problems on the wiki
somewhere?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--