[coreboot] The coreboot hare
c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Jul 1 16:06:35 CEST 2008
On 01.07.2008 15:18, ron minnich wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 3:25 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>> Veto because no community input was sought during any of the review
>> phases. Sorry.
>> I will continue to use the penguin for all contest entries and the
>> pending magazine articles until we have a design which had community
>> review during the design process.
> ah. well. Speaking as the person who
> o tried for 12 months to get community input on the name and logo, and
> o who then went to a small group in search of input, and
> o who tried to design a voting mechanism and
> o again requested input, and
> o got nothing from anyone!, and
I'm sorry that you got that impression. I remember quite a few mails on
the list with logo and name proposals (some of them from me) over the
course of the last twelve months. Perhaps there was a mail routing
glitch and you didn't get them. I'll make sure to CC: you and request
feedback if we ever have another name/logo decision process. Actually, I
expect we'll have another logo decision process soon, this time for
> o who greatly appreciates your contributions to coreboot,
> I am very sorry you feel this way!
> I have passed this logo by a great many NON-coreboot, NON-computer
> types. They loved it, without exception. That said, we could consider
> community input and a vote and I feel pretty strongly that the new
> logo would win such a vote :-)
Well, with one finished logo and all other contenders only in draft
stage (due to the same no-feedback problem you had) I expect the
finished logo to win easily.
> We need to make some progress here. I love the new logo, personally,
> but more important, it's time to move on on the name change and logo.
> We tried and failed for one full year to get a new logo. This was the
> best we were able to get. But, I think it's really, really good.
> Let's get a decision on this. Do we vote?
We'd need a few debates on CNN before we vote. Just kidding. I'd like to
invest some time in the alternative proposals to make sure they have a
chance of getting more than zero votes, though.
More information about the coreboot