[coreboot] Request for comments: v3 config script

Jordan Crouse jordan at cosmicpenguin.net
Tue Dec 2 20:00:28 CET 2008

We have had a configuration problem smoldering for some time in
buildrom.  Basically, the problem is that we sometimes want buildrom to
have some sort of control over the configuration of coreboot v2 and v3.
The classic example is compression - buildrom allows the user to choose
if they want to compress with LZMA or not - the problem is that this
then needs to be communicated to coreboot v2 or v3, which is difficult
to do with static configuration files.  So we need a way to massage the
v2 and v3 configuration files based on information from buildrom.

Attached is a quick script that I wrote this morning that starts to go
down that path for v3.  Given a trigger item in the buildrom config (in
this case CONFIG_USE_LZMA), it adds the appropriate config options to
the v3 config which is piped in through stdin. The result is a fully
operational config file that can be run through oldconfig in the v3 build.

I'm sending this out for comments - clearly this is an early hack, and
there will be refinements made.  And v3 is the easy case - v2 is going
to be a bear, and unfortunately v2 is the system that needs this the most.

So comments welcome, and please excuse my lack of perl fu.

Jordan