[coreboot] Request for comments: v3 config script

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 20:45:03 CET 2008

The last time we looked at this, I thought we decided that we would just
have a "reasonable" default for v3, and not let the user configure it any
more than that.  So in defconfig we always enable LZMA.  This allows the
user to compress the payload or not.  The other thing we allowed the user to
change was ROM size.  Anything else they need to do a make
coreboot-v3-config.

I think that's still reasonable for v3.  What other things do we want
configurable directly from buildrom?

> Attached is a quick script that I wrote this morning that starts to go
> down that path for v3.  Given a trigger item in the buildrom config (in
> this case CONFIG_USE_LZMA), it adds the appropriate config options to
> the v3 config which is piped in through stdin. The result is a fully
> operational config file that can be run through oldconfig in the v3 build.
>
> I'm sending this out for comments - clearly this is an early hack, and
> there will be refinements made.  And v3 is the easy case - v2 is going
> to be a bear, and unfortunately v2 is the system that needs this the most.

I agree that v2 is the real needy one here.  I think this might be overkill
for v3.

Thanks,
Myles