[coreboot] PS/2 keyboard/mouse not working on IT8712F (here: Asus A8N-E)

Andy Jakobs andyjakobs at gmx.de
Sat Apr 26 18:08:13 CEST 2008

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger schrieb:
> On 22.04.2008 23:37, Andy Jakobs wrote:
>> Uwe Hermann wrote:

>>> That's unclear, it may be that other boards are affected, but it's not
>>> certain that it's a pure Super I/O issue either.
>>>
>>> It's on my TODO list to investigate this, and I have an A8N-E to test,
>>> but I didn't find the time to do it yet.
>>>

>> Uwe, thank you very much for your reply.
>>
>> That sounds good! So patience is my goal... or learning C++ very fast. ;-)
>>

> You'd have to learn C. We don't use C++.
>
>> I just feared that the work on the A8N-E board runs into a "dead-end".
>>

> The big problem is that there are so many things to work on and we have
> enough work for at least 10 additional developers.
>
> If you don't have time to learn C or want to start diving into coreboot
> right now, try this:
> My personal recommendation for getting familiar with the code is to read
> coreboot v2 logs. Read them for lots of different boards and especially
> for qemu. Compare them and try to find differences. Get a feeling for
> what is expected for a particular board. You don't have to understand
> the logs completely, the feeling is what matters. Then take some of the
> messages you think you understand and look them up in the code. Try to
> remember where in the source tree you found that message. The file name
> and path say something about the component for which the code/message
> was written.
> Then look at v3 logs and try to work out their structure.
>
> If anything in the logs looks strange, ask the list. Most of us know the
> code so well that even if the messages in the log are not really
> understandable, we know what they mean and we can change them to be more
> readable/understandable.
>
> Regards,
> Carl-Daniel

Hello Carl-Daniel,

Thank you very much for your "starting guide".

I am gonna try it out.  And hopefully, I can do some useful work for the
project.

Is there a default storage repository for these "log files", or do I
have to search within this mailing list for them?

I already built a qemu environment on my system and a qemu rom file.
But it does not start yet. ...I have to further investigate the
circumstance(s) for that.

So far, thanks again for your support.

Andy