[coreboot] PS/2 keyboard/mouse not working on IT8712F (here: Asus A8N-E)

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Apr 23 00:38:41 CEST 2008

On 22.04.2008 23:37, Andy Jakobs wrote:
> Uwe Hermann wrote:

>>>  "Currently PS/2 keyboards do not work, but USB keyboards do."
>>>
>>> I can confirm that PS/2 still does not work. Unfortunately I do not have a USB keyboard anymore; once I tested it did not work, too.
>>>
>>> Is this a A8N-E topic only? All other mainboards with that superio are without such a problem?
>>>
>> That's unclear, it may be that other boards are affected, but it's not
>> certain that it's a pure Super I/O issue either.
>>
>> It's on my TODO list to investigate this, and I have an A8N-E to test,
>> but I didn't find the time to do it yet.
>>

> Uwe, thank you very much for your reply.
>
> That sounds good! So patience is my goal... or learning C++ very fast. ;-)

You'd have to learn C. We don't use C++.

> I just feared that the work on the A8N-E board runs into a "dead-end".

The big problem is that there are so many things to work on and we have
enough work for at least 10 additional developers.

If you don't have time to learn C or want to start diving into coreboot
right now, try this:
My personal recommendation for getting familiar with the code is to read
coreboot v2 logs. Read them for lots of different boards and especially
for qemu. Compare them and try to find differences. Get a feeling for
what is expected for a particular board. You don't have to understand
the logs completely, the feeling is what matters. Then take some of the
messages you think you understand and look them up in the code. Try to
remember where in the source tree you found that message. The file name
and path say something about the component for which the code/message
was written.
Then look at v3 logs and try to work out their structure.

If anything in the logs looks strange, ask the list. Most of us know the
code so well that even if the messages in the log are not really
understandable, we know what they mean and we can change them to be more
readable/understandable.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel