[LinuxBIOS] linuxbios + xf86-video-unichrome: no VGA BIOS needed.

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sun Mar 18 17:48:48 CET 2007

* Peter Stuge <stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org> [070318 17:20]:
> Sounds like an idea. I would definately not want it compiled in
> unless I choose it in Kconfig though.

Yes, definitely.

> But one option for which mode, and another for the graphics file would
> be good.

Yes. The picture should be selectable via Kconfig.

For the architecture, I think it should be possible to just add a
picture to the lar.

> We'd want to convert the image to raw and repack with lzma
> instead, rather than include a png decoder in ROM, right?

For the Kernel bootsplash, a guy at SUSE wrote a jpeg decoder in
roughly 8k. That plus a jpeg will be smaller than a lzmaed raw image
in almost all cases.

> > * Maybe the bootloader should take care?
> >
> > What do you think? I really don't know.
>
> How does GRUB2 feel about it?

If it's a seperate stage, grub2 (linuxbios version) might want to know
how to switch it off anyways. But making it a seperate stage would for
sure be a good idea as nobody feels offended by having to maintain that
graphics stuff "in their stage" :-)

> PS: Could you test the TIMER2/RESET patch on your EPIA and ack if it
> works?

Oh yes, sorry it takes me so long. Will do so asap.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613