[LinuxBIOS] SPI flash-chips

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 18:30:23 CET 2007

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

>>> Yeah, sorry, my bad :( I was referring to LPC (PLCC32). I don't know anything
>>> about SPI.
>> O'k. Does anyone common w/ SPI flashing / BIOS Saviour tools out there?
>
> Easiest would be to desolder the CE# "chip enable" pin, connect it to
> high level, attach a SPI chip with known-good image on top of it and
> connect CE# of the new chip to the board.

Where is the LPC <-> SPI being done?  Can the northbridge do both?  If
there is a additional chip (say like an EC) that does the LPC to SPI
conversion then there might be a way to put that device into recovery
mode where you can download new bits into the SPI flash.

Otherwise you just have to remove the SPI part device and add a SOIC to
DIP socket and use a DIP part.  SOIC sockets are a pain in the ass the use.

Or like Carl suggests. Lift the enable pin and wire up your own select
system.  Essentially the same as PLCC only less pins.

--
Richard A. Smith
smithbone at gmail.com