[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS, VMWare & CMOS

Borg No. One borg_no.one at gmx.net
Mon Mar 12 13:40:59 CET 2007

Hi all,

it is great to see that the topic: "LinuxBIOS in VMware" is current again* and that there are new advances.

*="again" means following:

-- http://www.google.de/search?q=bios440+linuxbios
-- http://www.mail-archive.com/linuxbios@clustermatic.org/msg09993.html
-- http://www.mail-archive.com/linuxbios@clustermatic.org/msg10054.html
-- http://linuxbios.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2006-January/013288.html
-- ...

Well, because it would really interessting to use an open source BIOS in VMware soon, here are some further information and notes which may be helpful for running experiments with:
-- VMware and LinuxBIOS
-- different VMware Option ROMs
-- VMware Option ROM related switches in the VMware configuration file

1.)
bios440.filename = ""
--> it is the magic switch to avoid that VMware uses the built-in BIOS and that it uses an external BIOS file instead.

2.)
Jamie Gavahan wrote:
> notice there is no parameter for e1000 cards.

In contrast to the emulated devices: "AMD Am79C970A - PCnet LANCE PCI Ethernet Controller" and: "VMXNET - VMware PCI Ethernet Adapter",
there seems to be no parameter for disabling the emulated "Intel E1000" Option ROM / for "removing" the virtual e1000 Option ROM FlashROM .

But there is a switch to set the Option ROM size: ".opromsize"
If you set the size to zero, then no e1000 Option ROM will be loaded.

Example for an emulated e1000 NIC without OPROM:

ethernet0.present = "True"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.startConnected = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "custom"
ethernet0.flashWriteable = "True"
ethernet0.opromsize = "0" # ( "4294967295" = max. size without getting an VMware error message ;-) .)

3.)
Jamie Gavahan wrote:
> These have unknown values:
> svga.noOprom
> ethernet%u.opromsize

svga.noOprom = "True" # (default= "False")
... means that the emulated VMware VGA device will be used, but will not have an Option ROM.
If you start VMware with: "svga.noOprom = "True"" then the VMware Phoenix BIOS will output the typical PC speaker sounds ;-) .

Hints:
a) svga.vramSize = "xxx" # ( "16777216" = max value)
... can change the video memory size

b)
vbios.filename= "path to video BIOS file"
... forces VMware to uses an external Video BIOS filename

4.)
To simply get/extract the VMware VGABIOS file and the other VMware Option ROMs / BIOS files from the VMware executable(without starting VMware and without building a bootdisk that would contain a VGABIOS dumping tool), you can use:
a) "objdump" and "objcopy"
http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=28149&tstart=0

b) "resource hacker"/"reshack" (or other resource editors) --> for Windows users / for VMware Windows version

5.)
Interesting links:
http://www.google.de/search?q=bios440+linuxbios
http://www.google.de/search?q=vmware+linuxbios