[LinuxBIOS] RFC Winflashrom Architecture -- Current device driver (testbed)

Darmawan Salihun darmawan.salihun at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 18:16:03 CEST 2007

Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:47:59PM +0700, Darmawan Salihun wrote:
>
>> I know, it's not a good example of software engineering practice.
>> Nonetheless, I want to discuss, on which API that I should be
>> removing from user mode application accesses and which one to
>> retain.
>>

> I couldn't make out much of it.
>
> Again, I think the evolution goes like this:
>
> 1. Kernel driver allowing unrestricted reads and writes to top 16MB.

The current version of the driver code is capable of mapping *anywhere*
within the 4GB physical address space. It shouldn't be a problem
to restrict it to the top 16MB. Anyway, the "mapZone" in the previous
attached driver code represents a single contiguous physical memory range.
The logic of the mapping process is as follows:
 a. The physical memory address range is mapped into the kernel's
virtual memory address range
b. The kernel's virtual memory address range is then mapped to the
"requesting" user mode virtual memory address range.

> 2. Kernel driver implementing the lowest level flash chip API.
>  Possibly using some macro language so that reboot isn't neccessary
>  to upgrade flash support.

Can you please elaborate more on this idea?

--Darmawan MS