[LinuxBIOS] RFC Winflashrom Architecture -- Current device driver (testbed)

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Wed Jun 6 18:00:03 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:47:59PM +0700, Darmawan Salihun wrote:
> I know, it's not a good example of software engineering practice.
> Nonetheless, I want to discuss, on which API that I should be
> removing from user mode application accesses and which one to
> retain.

I couldn't make out much of it.

Again, I think the evolution goes like this:

1. Kernel driver allowing unrestricted reads and writes to top 16MB.

2. Kernel driver implementing the lowest level flash chip API.
 Possibly using some macro language so that reboot isn't neccessary
 to upgrade flash support.

API details can't really be that complicated until (2) but I don't
think we can get away from doing (1) first so no need to worry about
(2) yet.

//Peter