[LinuxBIOS] trying to boot Gigabyte M575SLI

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Tue Jun 5 14:25:19 CEST 2007

* Peter Stuge <stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org> [070605 11:46]:
> > Where do I have to specify the drive? Both, /vmlinuz and
> > /initrd.img are symlinks, could this cause the problem?
>
> That's quite possible. I don't know if the FILO ext2 driver tries to
> resolve symlinks.

It does, but it might not be too good at it.

Does the same scenario with the same menu.lst work with legacy bios and
grub?

> > Both are fetched from sda5 when booted, the root filesystem itself
> > is on sda2 ("linux notation").
>
> And even if it does, symlinks across partitions are not likely to be
> supported.

yes. they are definitely not.

> Try specifying hde5:.. paths for both the kernel and initrd directly
> to FILO, bypassing the menu.lst file, or possibly doing so within the
> menu.lst file.

And please try bypassing the symlinks first by putting the names of the real
files into menu.lst. So we know whether its a symlink issue.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613