[LinuxBIOS] Linux vs. Open?

Nathanael Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Mon Mar 14 23:44:26 CET 2005

On Mar 14, 2005, at 10:15 AM, Dale Harris wrote:

> So this is likely a dumb question.  But what is the difference between
> LinuxBIOS and OpenBIOS?

As far as my very limited knowledge goes, LinuxBIOS isn't a BIOS
persay. It will initialize your hardware to a state that it can load a
bootloader of sometype (or even just a program like memtest). When you
are creating a linuxbios for a board/system. You will determine what
payload(s) you want it to have. These payloads can be filo, etherboot a
linux kernel, or ALDO or OpenBIOS.

OpenBIOS as far as I understand, is attempting to create a BIOS
replica/replacement, and as such could be a payload to LinuxBIOS.

You might also want to check out the new site
http://wiki.linuxbios.org/ which will probably have more definitive
answers to your question.
--
Nathanael D. Noblet