static_devices.c

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue Sep 30 07:24:01 CEST 2003

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at suse.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> the amd64 boards all have the "static_devices.c" file but it
> is not used by any of them, instead the resulting object file
> is commented out in the config file.
>
> Can it safely be removed, or will this code come back to life?

Yes.  This was a precursor to some of the more interesting things
that happened with the device tree.  I kept including it and playing
with it and for some reason everyone cloned it.  Now that we have
settled on how to build the tree statically this file can totally
go away.

> I also saw there are some old config method files lying around.
> Using the old config method is discouraged. Is there anything speaking
> against removing these files?

We probably want to, but if we could wait just a little bit I would
appreciate it.  I have been stabilizing and I really have not switched
over yet.  I think I am ready to but it is nice (at least in theory)
to do a comparison build the old way still.

> Keeping no obsolete files in the tree makes it a lot easier to get into
> the code for new developers. Thus, if there are no major reasons against
> this, I will drop those files in a while.

Sounds reasonable.  If you will delay just a little bit on the old
configuration stuff at least for the hdama I would appreciate it.
Before we are done and decide we are 2.0 I totally agree it all needs
to die.

Eric