static_devices.c

Stefan Reinauer stepan at suse.de
Tue Sep 30 07:34:00 CEST 2003

* Eric W. Biederman <ebiederman at lnxi.com> [030930 13:58]:
> > the amd64 boards all have the "static_devices.c" file but it
> > is not used by any of them, instead the resulting object file
> > is commented out in the config file.
> >
> > Can it safely be removed, or will this code come back to life?
>
> Yes.  This was a precursor to some of the more interesting things
> that happened with the device tree.  I kept including it and playing
> with it and for some reason everyone cloned it.  Now that we have
> settled on how to build the tree statically this file can totally
> go away.

ok. I wiped those out now.

> > I also saw there are some old config method files lying around.
> > Using the old config method is discouraged. Is there anything speaking
> > against removing these files?
>
> We probably want to, but if we could wait just a little bit I would
> appreciate it.  I have been stabilizing and I really have not switched
> over yet.  I think I am ready to but it is nice (at least in theory)
> to do a comparison build the old way still.

> Sounds reasonable.  If you will delay just a little bit on the old
> configuration stuff at least for the hdama I would appreciate it.
> Before we are done and decide we are 2.0 I totally agree it all needs
> to die.

Ok. Since the spread files are needed for building on the hdama, I'll
leave all of them in for now. The files I'm talking about are these:

src/cpu/k7/Config
src/cpu/k8/Config
src/cpu/p5/Config
src/cpu/p6/Config
src/lib/Config
src/pmc/altimus/mpc7410/Config
src/rom/Config
src/arch/ppc/lib/Config
src/arch/ppc/boot/Config
src/arch/ppc/Config
src/arch/i386/lib/Config
src/arch/i386/smp/Config
src/arch/i386/boot/Config
src/arch/i386/Config
src/boot/Config
src/pc80/ide/Config
src/pc80/Config
src/console/Config
src/devices/Config
src/northbridge/amd/amdk8/Config
src/northbridge/motorola/mpc107/Config
src/superio/NSC/pc97307/Config
src/config/Config
src/southbridge/amd/amd8111/Config
src/southbridge/amd/amd8131/Config
src/southbridge/amd/amd8151/Config
src/southbridge/winbond/w83c553/Config
src/stream/Config
src/mainboard/tyan/s2880/Config
src/mainboard/tyan/s2882/Config
src/mainboard/tyan/s2885/Config
src/mainboard/arima/hdama/Config
src/mainboard/motorola/sandpoint/Config
src/mainboard/motorola/sandpoint/flash/Config
src/mainboard/motorola/sandpoint/nvram/Config

  Stefan

--
Architecture Team
    SuSE Linux AG