Supporting extension ROMs and beyond...

Stefan Reinauer stepan at suse.de
Tue Aug 12 06:36:01 CEST 2003

* Adam Sulmicki <adam at cfar.umd.edu> [030812 04:39]:

> [apologies if it was mentioned before]
>
> Not sure if folks now about it,
> but there's this project.
>
> 	http://www.nongnu.org/vgabios/
>
> perhaps it would be usefull.

This is nice and useful for bochs and plex86, since they don't run on
real hardware but implement a generic, really dumb vga device.

To get VGA initialized generally we _do_ need the vga bios that sits
on the graphics card itself (or in the system rom, if vga is onboard)

A reimplementation like the above contains all the nice API that would
allow any OS or bootloader to interface with the bios nicely. But that
is not what we need, since the graphics card bios provided by the card
manufacturer does that already.
It would be useful if we solved the problem of calling pci option roms
for initialization and want to be able to test LinuxBIOS in bochs
though.

Stefan