[SerialICE] Reset troubles with Coreboot image

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 00:52:52 CEST 2010

> From: Joseph Smith [mailto:joe at settoplinux.org]
> On 06/30/2010 05:57 PM, Myles Watson wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Arne Georg Gleditsch
> > <arne.gleditsch at numascale.com>  wrote:

> >> I saw something similar with the HP board I ported, turned out to be
> the
> >> IPMI BMC hijacking the serial port at soft reset.  Not sure exactly
> what
> >> conditions triggered it, but I got it sorted by disabling the IPMI
> serial
> >> port CLI using ipmitool or something similar.  Let me know if this
> sounds at
> >> all likely with your setup, and I'll dig some more.
> >
> > I don't think my board has IPMI.  It seems to be triggered by changing
> > the HyperTransport widths.  If I leave it in 8-bit mode it doesn't
> > quit.  Unfortunately that's not OK, so I'm still trying to narrow it
> > down.
> >
> Myles,
> What do you mean by quit?

When it gets to a soft reset, the serial link starts having read back
errors.

> My 830M boards just quit/stop/halt at certian
> points (seems to always at same places) also with the recent versions of
> serialice.

Does the factory BIOS have the same behavior?

> They used to work great with the first publicly released
> versions of serialice. If I cycle the power real quickly it continues
> on. I am not sure what changed but if this sounds like your problem too,
> try a earlier version. I am curious to hear your results.

That sounds like it could be a different problem.  The factory BIOS works
fine for me with the latest version of SerialICE.  I tried earlier versions
and had some problems.

I wonder if the filters that have gotten added are taking away some I/O that
you need.  Have you tried removing the parts of serialice.lua that don't
apply to your board?

Thanks,
Myles