[SerialICE] Reset troubles with Coreboot image

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Thu Jul 1 00:26:15 CEST 2010

On 06/30/2010 05:57 PM, Myles Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Arne Georg Gleditsch
> <arne.gleditsch at numascale.com>  wrote:
>> On 30. juni 2010 00:55, Myles Watson wrote:
>>>
>>> My s2895 doesn't do a soft reset correctly with the coreboot image,
>>> but it does with the factory image.  Have you seen that problem?  It
>>> seems strange, because the "Reset triggered" message still shows up,
>>> along with "Rebooting the emulated CPU", but then I get Readback
>>> errors.  I patched SerialICE to redo the handshake on reset, but that
>>> doesn't help.
>>>
>>> I think I'm getting closer, but if someone has already seen something
>>> similar or has suggestions...
>>
>> I saw something similar with the HP board I ported, turned out to be the
>> IPMI BMC hijacking the serial port at soft reset.  Not sure exactly what
>> conditions triggered it, but I got it sorted by disabling the IPMI serial
>> port CLI using ipmitool or something similar.  Let me know if this sounds at
>> all likely with your setup, and I'll dig some more.
>
> I don't think my board has IPMI.  It seems to be triggered by changing
> the HyperTransport widths.  If I leave it in 8-bit mode it doesn't
> quit.  Unfortunately that's not OK, so I'm still trying to narrow it
> down.

Myles,
What do you mean by quit? My 830M boards just quit/stop/halt at certian
points (seems to always at same places) also with the recent versions of
serialice. They used to work great with the first publicly released
versions of serialice. If I cycle the power real quickly it continues
on. I am not sure what changed but if this sounds like your problem too,
try a earlier version. I am curious to hear your results.

--
Thanks,
Joseph Smith