[SeaBIOS] Librem 15v3 hangs at Booting from Hard Disk...

Philip C. pchampon at gmail.com
Thu May 10 03:14:52 CEST 2018

Hello everyone!

I've been having some issues with a laptop recently. My Librem 15v3 was
bouncing along, until one day I ran into an apt-get upgrade issue. I
attempted to fix the affected script by pointing it to the base directory
busybox lived. The upgrade completed without any apparent issue.

But, now no matter what I do, unattended boots hang on

SeaBIOS (version rel-1.11.0-0-g63451fc)
Booting from Hard Disk...
_

I have tried reinstalling the OS, using their live boot ISO. Each time, no
matter which disk I configure (/dev/sda or /dev/nvme0n1), the install fails
with the message

Installation failed Failed to run update-initramfs on the target The exit
code was 2

I have upgraded coreboot, no joy. I have also tried manually running grub,
from the installer, ie

   1. mkdir /mnt/root
   2. cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda3 root
   3. mount /dev/mapper/root /mnt/root
   4. mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/root/boot
   5. grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/root/boot /dev/sda
   6. update-grub2

The folks at purism/librem seem to be as confused as I am. Does anyone here
have any insight into how I can fix this problem?

Thanks!