[SeaBIOS] 1TB Guest changes to receive phys bits >=40

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Mon Jun 11 15:52:10 CEST 2018

  Hi,

> The change [2] itself is rather old, so I wondered if I'm missing that this
> was implemented in a totally different way. Do I have to switch/set options
> these days instead of using that patch?

It should just work.  qemu passes ram regions to the firmware using
fw_cfg (etc/e820) these days, and both seabios and ovmf support this for
years already.

> So the question become why the change is not upstream yet?
> Was it maybe discussed in the past and Nack'ed for some reason?

Exactly.

RHEL/CentOS 6 implemented the extra cmos byte, but this was not accepted
upstream in favor of the more flexible e820 solution.

RHEL/CentOS 7 supports both etc/e820 (upstream) and cmos (el6), but the
later is only there for backward compatibility reasons.

cheers,
  Gerd