[SeaBIOS] 1TB Guest changes to receive phys bits >=40

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Mon Jun 11 15:21:56 CEST 2018

Hi,
I was asked about x86 Guests of >1TB in size. And while some discussions
where around qemu/libvirt and host-phys-bits [1] I realized that in Seabios
I need exactly what is already in CentOS/RHEL [2] to get the phys-bits
passed on.

The change [2] itself is rather old, so I wondered if I'm missing that this
was implemented in a totally different way. Do I have to switch/set options
these days instead of using that patch?
But I saw that it is still applied even to rather recent versions.

So the question become why the change is not upstream yet?
Was it maybe discussed in the past and Nack'ed for some reason?
I didn't find the discussion if that is the case and would appreciate the
pointer.

We are closing in to make 1TB more common rather quickly, so I wonder if
really nothing would speak against it - would it be reasonable to consider
committing that upstream to Seabios these days?

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qemu/+bug/1769053
[2]:
https://git.centos.org/blob/rpms!seabios.git/14f0fd75785bc5f1468fa84fbd3a1627f3433032/SOURCES!0002-allow-1TB-of-RAM.patch

P.S. Subscribing people acking the original patch as they might have old
context to provide on this.

--
Christian Ehrhardt
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server