[SeaBIOS] Saving a few bytes across a reboot

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Thu Jan 11 18:38:40 CET 2018

On 01/11/18 18:16, Stefan Berger wrote:

> I can only point to the standard for the address. If QEMU has an API
> where we can first try to allocate fed4 0000 and if that fails ask for
> another address, then we can use that. But does driver initialization
> work that way that we can first let all other devices register their
> MMIO requirements and then the TPM device ask whether fed4 0000 is
> available and then falls back to using a random address?

As far as I understand, QEMU would keep the base address generally
fixed, but it could be moved if (a) another platform device comes along
that needs a large contiguous area and it cannot be accommodated without
moving other devices around, or (b) the user wanted to move the address
on the command line for whatever reason.

So, I don't think the QEMU API that you describe exists, or that there's
a use case for it. AFAICT board code is expected to place platform
devices up-front so that the latter peacefully co-exist.

Thanks,
Laszlo