[SeaBIOS] Saving a few bytes across a reboot

Stefan Berger stefanb at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Feb 8 21:41:58 CET 2018

On 02/08/2018 02:30 PM, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 5:35 PM, Stefan Berger
> <stefanb at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>> On 02/08/2018 10:52 AM, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> Regarding security of PPI pending operations, the spec clearly says
>>> "The location for tracking the pending PPI
>>> operation, including the tracking of necessary PLATFORM RESET
>>> operations, does not need to be a secure or trusted location." (9.9
>>> p.32)
>>>
>>> I assume this is because the user has to confirm the pending operation
>>> in pre-os console, so if some attacker wanted to clear the TPM, the
>>> user would have to confirm it (same for other operation of flags
>>> manipulation). That may not be the best security design, but at least,
>>> the user could be in control.
>>
>> I had not read that - at least not recently.
>> There are operations that eliminate the future prompt (operation 18) but
>> these require at least a one-time interaction. Though the flag that causes
>> the prompt needs to be protected so that some software cannot just modify it
>> and cause a clear without user interaction. In UEFI this is solved (hope)
>> with the locking of the variable. In a BIOS one could store it in a TPM
>> NVRAM location that has access restrictions that can only be fulfilled by
>> the firmware.
> Or it could be stored in the "PPI qemu device" you proposed, couldn't it?
>
> The firmware could lock the access to some PPI memory after a PPI phase.
>
> That may not be as secure as SMM variable lock service in UEFI, but
> that would be more portable and probably easier to implement.

These particular flags should survive reboot. They are more or less a
firmware configuration. Since there's no CMOS we could stick them into
the TPM's NVRAM, which has its security advantages. So some malicious
software could try to set or clear the flag that would prompt a user for
confirmation for clearing the TPM for example. It would have to set this
flag in RAM and SeaBIOS would react to that and finally transfer the
flag into TPM NVRAM that only the firmware can access while the TPM is
in a certain (in particular it would be 'TPMA_NV_PPWRITE' on the NVRAM
location).

>>> How does the UEFI runtime variable services verify the authenticity of
>>> the requests? Or does it only check a request validity?
>>
>> Afaics it only checks whether the request has valid parameters, not where it
>> comes from.
> Then I don't see much point yet going through SMM to set the pending
> operations (protecting the result could eventually be good though).

Not sure except for re-using existing code in EDK2.