[SeaBIOS] A20: ahci_process_op is called with A20 off

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Fri May 12 18:40:31 CEST 2017

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 06:29:19PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> >> Hi Kevin,
> >>
> >> Why does SeaBios use VM86 mode?
> >
> > As Paolo mentioned, SeaBIOS doesn't use it, but it must support
> > callers that use it.
> >
> >> vtx supports real mode long time ago.
> >>
> >> C16_SMM is slow because it causes several extra switches between VM and QEMU.
> >> I would prefer C16_BIG for better performance.
> >> Does SeaBios know if it runs in real mode or VM86 mode?
> >> Can SeaBios choose C16_SMM/C16_BIG based on VCPU mode?
> >
> > Yes, SeaBIOS could use the smsw instruction (see x86.h:cr0_vm86_read)
> > to check if it is in VM86 mode.  Using C16_BIG would still clobber the
> > segment registers, but it might be worth that risk to avoid the extra
> > overhead of C16_SMM.
>
> I don't think the SMM overhead is that bad (is SMM only used on QEMU?).

Yes, the SMM code in SeaBIOS is currently exclusive to QEMU.  I
considered adding an equivalent SMI handler to coreboot, but it seems
it's not really needed.  Only ancient OSes require it and that's not a
typical mix with coreboot.  (And if one needs to run an ancient OS
then they would almost certainly be better off running it in an
emulator anyway).