[SeaBIOS] [coreboot] How does SeaBIOS transition to Linux?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Feb 13 19:58:27 CET 2017

Zoran Stojsavljevic wrote:
> Did not understand...  I must admit!  As of my best interpretation
> SeaBIOS has 5 functions which makes BIOS legacy:
>
> get and set variables, get and set real time clock, reset.
>
> Or maybe, something changed.

SeaBIOS implements a whole bunch of legacy BIOS services, including
option ROM processing and the BBS.

> Where I see e820 table which is to be passed to OS, in order OS to
> understand what memory it can use. But I did not find explicitly these
> 5 functions. So I need a little help here. Where are these functions?

I don't really know what you are refering to, but it doesn't matter..

> Now... How GRUB2 replaces all of these functionalities?

It doesn't and is not supposed to. It is only used to load the
operating system, not to create a BIOS environment. If you need a
legacy BIOS or UEFI then you do not use GRUB2 as (only) payload.

> who/what entity is replacing missing SeaBIOS functionalities?

None. With GRUB2 as payload, no legacy BIOS environment is present,
and that's a good thing.

//Peter