[SeaBIOS] SeaBIOS security feature roadmap?

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sat Jan 16 01:32:58 CET 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 12:38:12PM -0800, Blibbet wrote:
> On 01/12/2016 11:36 AM, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> [...]
> > As far as a roadmap, I understand there is a plan to add TPM 2.0
> > support to SeaBIOS.
> >
> > I'm not aware of any new consumer devices shipping with the support,
> > and I understand that KVM/QEMU have had TPM support for some time
> > already.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -Kevin
>
> Thanks for the info, mentioned results here, including today's TPMv2
> checking news:
>
> http://firmwaresecurity.com/2016/01/15/seabios-gets-tpm2-security/
>
> It sounds like some Chromebooks have SeaBIOS with TPMv1, unclear which
> OEM devices/models. I'm still interested in a list of other consumer
> devices with SeaBIOS and additional security, to point to in blog.

Google has been big on the TPM devices, so I thought all the
chromebooks had them, but I don't know for sure.

> I wish SeaBIOS documentation included a table comparing BIOS security
> features of all modern implementations, bare-metal and virtualized, to
> compare SeaBIOS's features with other BIOS implementations.

There is a Wikipedia article that compares SeaBIOS to other
proprietary BIOS implementations.  I don't have direct knowledge on
the features of proprietary BIOS, so can't help with a direct
comparison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_features_comparison