[SeaBIOS] SeaBIOS Digest, Vol 72, Issue 33

Stefan Berger stefanb at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 8 18:19:52 CET 2016

http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/resources/tpm_library_specification

> Thanks.  Does the hardware interface change as well (ie, is it still
> the same reads/writes to MMIO at 0xfed40000)?

It has the same address, but one or two more registers.

> My initial thought would be to do what you've proposed - have wrapper
> functions around the TPM commands (eg, tpm_extend, tpm_get_capability,
> read_permanent_flags) and teach those functions how to send the two
> different styles of commands (and translate the responses if
> necessary).

So the good thing is that some of the code can be shared between 1.2 and
2.0,
to a certain 'depth' at least. An example of a shared function would be
this one.

static void
tpm_add_event_separators(void)
{
    static const u8 evt_separator[] = {0xff,0xff,0xff,0xff};
    u32 pcrIndex;
    for (pcrIndex = 0; pcrIndex <= 7; pcrIndex++)
        tpm_add_measurement_to_log(pcrIndex, EV_SEPARATOR,
                                   NULL, 0,
                                   evt_separator,
                                   sizeof(evt_separator));
}

Following this function further down:

tpm_add_measurement_to_log() [on current master] can be completely
shared as well. tpm_log_extend_event would need to become a function that
branches into tpm12_log_extend_event and tpm2_log_extend_event, depending
on detected version of TPM.

tpm_log_event could again be shared since ACPI logging is the same.
Same for tpm_fill_hash for as long as we only support sha1.

Basically all functions where commands are created cannot be shared.
Also TPM 2's initialization is a bit different and it supports more
hashes.

So it actually speaks against splitting this up into different files, but
the
outcome may be that the code would show a mix of tpm12_*, tpm2_*, and
tpm_* functions in the format of

tpm12_foo() { [...] }

tpm2_foo() { [...] }

tpm_foo() {
   switch (tpmversion) {
   1.2:
      return tpm12_foo()
   2:
      return tpm2_foo()
   }
}

tpm_xyz() { [...] }

tpm12_bar() { [...] }

tpm2_bar() { [...] }

[...]

That's what I did before...

If none of the code could be shared the decision to split it up completely
would be a lot easier.

   Stefan