[SeaBIOS] Chromebook doesn't boot BSD

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sun Feb 14 19:29:22 CET 2016

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 06:04:16PM +0100, Ronny Schneider wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> i have a Toshiba Chromebook 2 (CB30-B-104) with a flashed on SeaBIOS by the script from John Lewis: https://johnlewis.ie/custom-chromebook-firmware/rom-download/
>
> Linux is running very well but i want to see OpenBSD 5.8 on this laptop. But it’s not working, neither do FreeBSD 10.2, NetBSD 7.0 or DragonFly 4.2. The boot stops at the point where the kernel wants to mount the root-filesystem. I even copied an installed OpenBSD-System from an usb-stick onto the emmc-flash of the chromebook but it’s not working.
>
> I googled arround and found out the problem is not unknown among the Chromebook Pixel. So i thought i could help a little by providing my cbmem-bootlog for my machine: http://pastebin.com/asLqar5q
> If i can do more to see OpenBSD booting on this laptop, please let me know :-)

When you say "it's not working" - what happens - does the machine hang
or does it attempt to reboot?  If it hangs, can you provide all the
information on the screen prior to the hang.  If it hangs, are you
sure the machine is really stuck instead of just the display not
working?

How did you generate the cbmem-log - was it from a successful Linux
boot, or during the attempted bsd boot?