[SeaBIOS] USB/xHCI device detection issues

Matt DeVillier matt.devillier at gmail.com
Fri May 22 04:30:53 CEST 2015

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 9:49 AM, Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:

> On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 11:43:19AM -0500, Matt DeVillier wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > my Haswell ChromeBox users are still reporting intermittent issues
> > with USB device detection at boot on SeaBIOS 1.81, with both the
> > stock/google firmware and my coreboot builds (the ChromeBox only has
> > xHCI ports).  The most common problem is that the USB device fails
> > to be listed in the boot menu; far less common is the device being
> > listed but failing to boot.
> >
> > Finally got one of them to provide a cbmem log, which I had done at
> > level 7.  Looks like the device (a Sandisk Cruser flash drive)
> > reported 'medium not present', which to me doesn't make sense for a
> > flash drive.
> >
> > Would appreciate any insight, the log is at http://pastebin.com/Ujj0WRwA
>
> At first glance, this looks like a quirky flash drive.  If this is an
> intermittent issue, I would guess that the drive is ack'ing the USB
> commands but hasn't fully self-initialized yet.  (Which it shouldn't
> do.)
>
> It's possible some retry logic would help to better catch these quirky
> drives.  I would be surprised, though, if the 'medium not present'
> error is something lots of drives respond with.
>
> -Kevin

unfortunately while many people have complained about USB devices failing
to be detected at boot, very few have been willing to help by providing
logs, and all the flash drives I have work just fine (which is a range of
brands, capacities, and interface types).  I'll try to get a couple more to
see if the logs point to a common issue