[SeaBIOS] USB/xHCI device detection issues

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Thu May 21 18:49:43 CEST 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 11:43:19AM -0500, Matt DeVillier wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> my Haswell ChromeBox users are still reporting intermittent issues
> with USB device detection at boot on SeaBIOS 1.81, with both the
> stock/google firmware and my coreboot builds (the ChromeBox only has
> xHCI ports).  The most common problem is that the USB device fails
> to be listed in the boot menu; far less common is the device being
> listed but failing to boot.
>
> Finally got one of them to provide a cbmem log, which I had done at
> level 7.  Looks like the device (a Sandisk Cruser flash drive)
> reported 'medium not present', which to me doesn't make sense for a
> flash drive.
>
> Would appreciate any insight, the log is at http://pastebin.com/Ujj0WRwA

At first glance, this looks like a quirky flash drive.  If this is an
intermittent issue, I would guess that the drive is ack'ing the USB
commands but hasn't fully self-initialized yet.  (Which it shouldn't
do.)

It's possible some retry logic would help to better catch these quirky
drives.  I would be surprised, though, if the 'medium not present'
error is something lots of drives respond with.