[SeaBIOS] vgabios -> seabios breaks (my) 16-bit applications

Paolo Bonzini pbonzini at redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 15:47:26 CET 2015

On 13/01/2015 15:30, Peter Stuge wrote:
> > That would be pretty slow on KVM, since video memory is MMIO.
>
> slow reliable > fast unreliable
>
> > But worse, one could imagine that NTVDM blocks a0000-bffff as well.
>
> I doubt that? Then how would the VGA BIOS write its data?

The question is more "why is NTVDM executing the VGA BIOS?"  Remember
this is a 16-bit windowed application.  It's possible that some old
Win16 app was doing INT 10h calls and so they have to support it in
NTVDM: they initialize the VGABIOS, but do not write to VRAM because...
nothing should be there, right?

Not writing the data to VRAM could very well be intentional.

Paolo