[SeaBIOS] SeaBIOS Digest, Vol 72, Issue 33

Stefan Berger stefanb at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 22 15:29:30 CET 2015

Wim Vervoorn <wvervoorn at eltan.com> wrote on 12/22/2015 09:15:55 AM:

> Hello Stefan,
>
> I think it will work perfectly for the higher level functions like :
> tpm_smbios_measure(void) etc. Here you can easily implement tpm 1.2
> and 2.0 handling. For the functions like tpm_add_measurement_to_log()
> I don’t think it is that easy or useful. For those it’s probably
> better to have a tpm 1.2 and a tpm 2.0 variant each with their own
> API but not with a wrapper.

If TPM 2 is not operated in sha1 mode, then we may need different
*internal* functions, yes (tpm2_bar()).
Otherwise it's mostly byte streams being passed into the TPM parts to
which sha1 is applied if needed; the
exception is the BIOS API which seems to return SHA1 hashes in some
structures.

For the BIOS API functions where applications expect structures with
embedded sha1 hashes, we will
need to restrict those APIs to sha1 mode, return failure otherwise. If the
standard defines structures (for BIOS)
for sha256 etc.,  and possibly new API functions, then we can implement
those for TPM 2 and they would result
in an error if invoked by TPM 1.2 (which only supports sha1).

   Stefan

> Please note I did not look into all details so I might be seeing
> problems that aren’t there (or can be solved easily).
>

> Best Regards,
> Wim Vervoorn
>
> Eltan B.V.
> Ambachtstraat 23
> 5481 SM Schijndel
> The Netherlands
>
> T : +31-(0)73-594 46 64
> E : wvervoorn at eltan.com
> W : http://www.eltan.com
> "THIS MESSAGE CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. UNLESS YOU ARE THE
> INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THIS MESSAGE, ANY USE OF THIS MESSAGE IS
> STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN ERROR,
> PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE SENDER BY TELEPHONE +31-(0)73-5944664
> OR REPLY EMAIL, AND IMMEDIATELY DELETE THIS MESSAGE AND ALL COPIES."

SeaBIOS.