[SeaBIOS] [RFC 2/2] Add Linux boot code for the fw_cfg dma interface

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed Aug 19 17:48:24 CET 2015

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 07:31:30PM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> Doing this in seabios looks appealing too as seabios needs the code for
> fw_cfg support anyway and it is already written in C.  It needs some
> more care through so things like bootorder and pxeboot continue to work.
> Maybe seabios could match the rom name (the one which appears in the
> boot menu) to figure whenever it should kick a direct kernel boot.

If new IPL code is added to SeaBIOS for vmlinux booting (similar to
the ipl code for cbfs payload booting), then it should be possible for
qemu to add an entry to the bootorder file to instruct SeaBIOS to boot
that IPL first.  I think that method should coexist with
bootorder/pxeboot without any special work.