[SeaBIOS] Extending USB device support

Parker, John M john.m.parker at intel.com
Wed Apr 22 22:21:57 CEST 2015

Hi

I took some time and developed a serial console over USB (FTDI) for SeaBIOS.
To make it work, I put in a few changes to the core USB module to allow my USB serial port driver to patch itself in to the USB stack.

These changes implement a general mechanism for USB device driver extension that might have other applications, so I thought I would start a dialog on the subject.

Here is a summary of the change (about 5 lines removed and 20 lines added):
1) defined a list structure in usb.h
        struct usb_driver_list_s
        {
           struct usb_driver_list_s *next; /* the list pointer */
           int  (*driver_detect)(struct usbdevice_s *usbdev, /
                  struct usb_device_descriptor *dinfo); /* a function pointer */
       } ;
2) Added a static list head pointer to usb.c
        static struct usb_driver_list_s *usb_driver_list;
3) Added an API function to populate the list with external usb drivers
        add_usb_device_handler(struct usb_driver_list_s *add_driver)
3) Modified configure_usb_device() to make it look for external drivers
     a) relocated the trap for an unhandled device
     b) call the handler init functions in the list until one indicates acceptance