[SeaBIOS] 回复:回复:Re: 回复:Re: _about ZoneHigh occupying ram from last address of below 4G ram

penghao122 at sina.com penghao122 at sina.com
Tue Apr 21 03:54:40 CEST 2015

I just notice sending mail fail report

----- 原始邮件 -----
发件人: penghao122<penghao122 at sina.com>
收件人: Kevin O'Connor<kevin at koconnor.net>
抄送人: seabios<seabios at seabios.org>
主题: 回复:Re: 回复:Re: [SeaBIOS]_about ZoneHigh occupying ram from last address of below 4G ram
日期: 2015-4-18 00:28

my qemu command line:
../qemu-2.1.2/x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 -k en-us  -chardev stdio,id=seabios -device isa-debugcon,iobase=0x402,chardev=seabios -smp 4  -m 8192 -drive file=/home/win7-64.qcow2,format=qcow2 -enable-kvm

Just for linux OS ,I agree with you about "It's common to put reserved memory at the end of ram ". My win7-64 vm delay two hours before booting up successfully .During the two hours,the windows OS access from 0xc000_0000 to 0xfc00_0000 byte by byte .There is no pci devices in the address range.  KVM think address space that is not in E820 table is mmio,but in fact this address space range also contain address hole. these hole should not be accessed by OS normally. Now windows OS access the hole ,so kvm think the address space is mmio,and handle the access like mmio flow (repeated kvm_exit to qemu userspace ).That is very time-consuming,so the vm delay 2 hours. I modified the ZoneHigh address at the begining of  128MB,everything is OK.
The bootloader of windows os may be care about memory at the end of ram below 4GB.

I try to start the same win7-64bit vm in xen-4.1.0(using rombios).It's OK because the rombios keep 0x10000 - 0xc000_0000 as ram..

p.s some edition of  win7-64bit is easy to trigge