[SeaBIOS] FreeBSD VESA console not working with SeaBIOS

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Mon Apr 6 15:43:21 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 10:05:36AM +0200, Jon Doe wrote:
> Here's a log showing a boot into X, then switching to console, then
> trying to kldload vesa.ko. Looks like X is happily probing vbe modes,
> but the console chokes with "SeaVGABIOS: x86emu leal trap!".

That error message indicates that the vga bios is running in an older
version of the x86emu emulator that is too broken to be capable of
running the vga bios.  (Specifically, the "leal" instruction is not
properly implemented.)

Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done about this on the vga
bios side.  There are newer versions of x86emu available that are
capable of emulating SeaVGABIOS, but I don't know if someone has
already integrated it into FreeBSD or how one would go about
integrating it.  Alternatively, since the log shows the vesa mode scan
was run natively instead of via x86emu, it may be possible to change
the code to switch modes using native execution instead of via x86emu.