[SeaBIOS] FreeBSD VESA console not working with SeaBIOS

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Mon Apr 6 05:34:42 CEST 2015

On Sun, Apr 05, 2015 at 07:44:28PM +0200, Jon Doe wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm trying to get a VESA console going on FreeBSD 8.2. There seems to
> be some mixup detecting available video modes (using SeaBIOS 1.7.5).
>
> FreeBSD's vesa.ko module refuses to load, bailing out from
> vesa_bios_init() (see
> http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/dev/fb/vesa.c?v=FREEBSD82#L816). The
> whole VESA block seems to be garbage, or it is parsed incorrectly.
>
> Any ideas on what might be wrong?

There have been problems in the past with older versions of x86emu not
properly emulating some x86 instructions.  However, to be sure if this
is the problem, we'd need to see the output from the debug log.  See:
  http://www.seabios.org/Debugging
to enable debugging, and please post the full debug log.