[SeaBIOS] Seabios password protection

Paolo Bonzini pbonzini at redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 19:22:14 CEST 2014

Il 06/06/2014 17:24, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE ha scritto:
> Le mercredi 04 juin 2014 à 11:40 -0400, Kevin O'Connor a écrit :
>> > In a nutshell, there isn't really anything in SeaBIOS to password
>> > protect and so no reason for a password.
> OK, I thought about an answer.
>
> Let's suppose that you are in charge of building doors and you say "As
> door locks can be broken, there is no need for a lock". Not many people
> would use such doors.

No, this is more like a construction company saying "you asked us to
build an arch, not a door, so there is no need for a lock".

SeaBIOS is just a consumer of the boot order.  The BIOS boot order in
SeaBIOS should come from coreboot or QEMU or TianoCore (I don't know if
coreboot provides it), and that's where the password should be---in
coreboot or TianoCore, or for QEMU you will have some kind of an access
control list in a virtualization management tool.

Paolo