[SeaBIOS] Seabios password protection

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed Jun 4 17:40:42 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 04:07:28PM +0200, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> First, I would like to congratulate you for working on a Free BIOS.
>
> Is there a way to lock-down SEABIOS with a password like a traditional
> computer. I know most computers have BIOS magic passwords, but ... some
> don't and a good password will always slow down an attack.
>
> Does SeaBIOS support password protection?

No.  The SeaBIOS project is focused on providing BIOS compatibility so
that one can boot common operating systems.  Support for menus,
run time configuration, and low level hardware initialization isn't
the primary focus.  It is expected projects like QEMU and coreboot
will handle those tasks.

In a nutshell, there isn't really anything in SeaBIOS to password
protect and so no reason for a password.