[SeaBIOS] How to load but not run Option ROMs?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jul 12 13:00:01 CEST 2014

Dear SeaBIOS folks,

in the thread *Help for Coreboot project* [1] on the coreboot mailing
list, Denis Carikli wrote that to get graphics under Linux (not GRUB or
SeaBIOS) with AMD/ATI graphics devices it is enough to place/load(?) the
Video BIOS/VGA Option ROM at the right place and not run it.

The same is needed for some Intel devices (Google Chromebooks) so the
VBT, needed for setting up the panel, is found.

Enabling that option in coreboot (currently only possible by changing
`def_bool` to `y`) and disabling Option ROM handling in SeaBIOS did not
work. I think SeaBIOS overwrote the region (`/proc/iomem`).

Looking for configuration options in SeaBIOS, there is the Kconfig
option `OPTIONROMS_DEPLOYED`, which only available for QEMU though. Also
it uses placed/loaded Option ROMs and still runs them.

I guess more Kconfig options have to be added to support my use case. Is
that wanted or should I do as Denis wrote and patch the SeaBIOS locally?

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2014-July/078293.html
[2] http://review.coreboot.org/5594